News CoE in brief Permanent Representation Poland in CoE
POLISH CHAIRMANSHIP OF THE COE
Poland chaired the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers from 10 November 2004 to 17 may 2005.
Two Ministers of Foreign Affairs of Poland: Włodzimierz Cimoszewicz, and since January 2005 Adam Daniel Rotfeld, exercised the function of the Chariman of the CM while Ambassador Krzysztof Kocel, Permanent Representative of Poland to the Council of Europe chaired the Committee of Ministers’ Deputies.
The priorities of the Polish chairmanship included:
- Strengthening the unity of the whole European continent after the enlargement of the European Union
- Strengthening of human rights
- Promoting of the dialogue between cultures as a precondition of tolerance and resolution of disputes
- Development of local democracy and transfrontier co-operation
- Overcoming difficult problems of the past in Europe
The preparation of the Third Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the CoE, which took place on 16-17 May 2005 in Warsaw at the end of the Polish chairmanship, constituted a special priority of the Polish presidency. The preparations to the Third Summit included both organisational aspects and negotiations of the Summit documents . The Polish representatives led the work of the drafting committee.
The Programme of the Polish chairmanship envisaged also organisation of numerous events, conferences and seminars of the Council of Europe. Polish authorities prepared a rich cultural programme for that semester.
Poland handed over the chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers to Portugal at the end fo the Third Summit in Warsaw.